Sunday, January 13, 2013

Making a Textile Caricature

I thought I would have a go at making a caricature in fabric. I chose comedian Henning Wehn as the subject, because I enjoy his comedy and he has an interesting face.


I found some photos of him on his website and elsewhere on the Internet and amalgamated different aspects into a single drawing, before exaggerating some aspects of his face and body, for example, placing the eyes to the sides of the head, widening the bridge of the nose, shortening the legs etc etc. I redrew this until I was happy with it before translating it into fabric and thread.


The main part is done with free motion embroidery on the sewing machine, starting with the bottom layer and slowly adding more and more to the picture. Finally, the features on the face were hand embroidered and the brown colour on the trainers was added by hand.


The finished caricature was trimmed from its white background before being mounted onto black mount board with small stitches on the front and large ones on the reverse.

This piece is currently for sale in Fire Horse Textiles on Folksy, priced at £40.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent caricature.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...